Home » News » Business & Economy » GHANA EXPORT PROMOTION AUTHORITY (GEPA) TRAINED GROUNDNUT FARMERS TO HELP REDUCE AFLATOXIN
<div id="adsbrook_ad"> <script type="text/javascript"> siteid = "53913b8be4b03bf8eb676d77"; ad_width = 728; ad_height = 90; </script> <script type='text/javascript' src='http://app.adsbrook.com/public/javascripts/webadserver.js'> </script> </div>

GHANA EXPORT PROMOTION AUTHORITY (GEPA) TRAINED GROUNDNUT FARMERS TO HELP REDUCE AFLATOXIN

To reduce the level of aflatoxin contamination in groundnut, peanut butter and cereal products, the Ghana Export Promotion Authority (GEPA) with the support from the Trade Related Assistance and Quality Enabling Programme (TRAQUE) is organizing a series of training programmes for groundnut farmers in 20 districts covering four regions in the country. The General Manager of the Ghana Export Promotion Authority, Stephen K. Normeshie made the comment at the opening ceremony of the training programme in export quality controls, management and certification of groundnut and cereal products at Techiman in the Brong-Ahafo region. He was optimistic that the training will boost production of groundnuts and cereal farmers for more export, saying, the world export trade averaged one point two tonnes of groundnuts, valued to over 984 million dollars per year over the last five years. Mr. Normeshie noted that about 80 per cent of exports consisted of edible groundnut varieties, with the remaining 20 per cent of groundnuts used for crushing. He equally noted that government recognizes the important role of non-traditional exports and in this direction has targeted five billion dollars to be generated from the sector by 2019. Mr. Normeshie said in 2013, the non-traditional exports earning was two point four billion dollars, out of which groundnuts exports amounted to six point four million dollars and needed improvement. He mentioned Brong-Ahafo, Northern, Upper East and West as some of the regions to benefit from the training. He said Techiman, Wenchi, Kintampo, Nkoranza and Atebubu as districts to benefit from the Brong – Ahafo. The project is funded by the European Union (EU) and seeks to train two thousand stakeholders in the groundnut value chain on Good Agriculture Practices (GAP) with emphasis on prevention and controlling of aflatoxin contamination on groundnuts.

Source:Biiya Mukusah Ali/http://newspaper.developghana.com/

<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script> <!-- dg_sidebar_left --> <ins class="adsbygoogle" style="display:block" data-ad-client="ca-pub-2669564955712605" data-ad-slot="8021846379" data-ad-format="auto"></ins> <script> (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); </script>

About admin 2

<script async src="//pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/js/adsbygoogle.js"></script> <!-- dg-buttombanner --> <ins class="adsbygoogle" style="display:inline-block;width:728px;height:90px" data-ad-client="ca-pub-2669564955712605" data-ad-slot="2486893178"></ins> <script> (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); </script>